Expanding Excellence in England (E3) Fund
The Expanding Excellence in England (E3) fund is designed to build the capacity and quality of research in departments and units within English universities where excellence exists but at a small scale.
The Expanding Excellence in England (E3) fund aims to support the strategic expansion of excellent research units and departments in HEIs across England. In order to expand excellence, E3 focusses only on units and departments where there is demonstrable research excellence already, but limited scale of activity.
This is a competitive scheme and £75m is available through the fund to be allocated to each successful unit/department over three years (AY 19/20, 20/21 and 21/22). Awards will be for the three year period, allowing successful bidders time to scale up activity and build quality. Funding will be primarily resource in nature, although bids that make the case for capital funding as part of the proposal will be considered.
Aims of the Fund
• Strengthen the contribution of English HEIs to our society, pushing the frontiers of human knowledge, delivering economic impact and creating social impact by supporting our society and others to become enriched, healthier, more resilient and sustainable;
• Build the capacity and quality of research in departments and units within English universities where excellence exists but at a small scale with potential for growth;
• Contribute towards the delivery of government strategy, including the Industrial Strategy, the GCRF strategy and local priorities by supporting sustained improvements in research capacity across England while maintaining the principle of funding excellence wherever it is found;
• Enhance the skills base and build talent in areas of research excellence where there is untapped potential;
• Stimulate strategic partnerships between HEIs and other organisations outside of Higher Education.
How to Apply
Institutions should ensure they will be able to meet the requirements for the fund outlined in the guidance, RE-P-2018-01, before preparing to submit an expression of interest (EOI).
Please email email@example.com if you have any queries regarding your potential bid.
You should then submit your EOI by noon on Tuesday 17 July 2018. The template to use to submit an EOI (Annex B) is provided with the guidance document (RE-P-2018-01).