Publications and reports
- 29 July 2019
- Independent advice on university-investor links: Mike Rees report
An independent report, published on 29 July 2019, will inform Research England’s ongoing work to support university technology transfer.
- 26 July 2019
- Research and knowledge exchange funding for 2019-20
This publication summarises our recurrent grants for research and knowledge exchange and our formula capital allocations for research.
- 04 July 2019
- Equality Impact Assessment for QR funding and formula research capital funding: engagement survey
This document sets out a call for evidence intended to gather further information on the potential impacts of our formula-based research funding policy on protected groups.
- 02 July 2019
- Circular Letter: Funding for higher education institutions for 2019-20
This circular letter sets out our decisions on recurrent funding for higher education institutions for the academic year 2019-20, and on capital funding for the financial year 2019-20.
- 02 July 2019
- Guide to research and knowledge exchange funding 2019-20
Research England provides funding to English higher education institutions for research and knowledge exchange. This guide introduces how Research England allocates its funds, and is intended for those working in higher education and others who wish to understand our funding methods.
- 01 July 2019
- International Landscape Study of Research and Innovation Systems
This report presents the findings of the International Landscape Study of Research and Innovation Systems, commissioned by Research England and carried out by Technopolis.
- 27 June 2019
- Circular Letter: Equality Impact Assessment for Research England's Quality-related Research (QR) and formula-based research capital funding
This letter sets out our intention to carry out an Equality Impact Assessment (EIA) for Research England’s Quality-related Research (QR) and formula-based research capital funding allocated to English higher education institutions (HEIs).
- 24 June 2019
- Real-Time REF Review
The Real-Time REF Review (RTRR) is a longitudinal study which aims to understand the attitudes and perspectives of the UK’s higher education research community towards the Research Excellence Framework 2021.
- 24 May 2019
- Engagement Forum Report of Discussions - 20 February 2019
Report of discussions at Research England's third Engagement Forum in Birmingham on 20 February 2019.
- 22 March 2019
- Allocations from the 2018-19 Strategic Priorities Fund
Research England has been allocated an element of the UK Research and Innovation Strategic Priorities Fund budget to distribute to higher education institutions (HEIs) for 2018-19.
- 19 February 2019
- Research England: Universities delivering the Industrial Strategy
This report summarises uses of Industrial Strategy uplift allocations through Higher Education Innovation Funding (HEIF) and Industrial Strategy related developments in universities, based on evidence from plans for HEIF submitted to Research England.
- 06 February 2019
- Codes of Practice circular letter for submission to the REF 2021
Letter to explain Research England's arrangements for reviewing codes of practice on the fair and transparent identification of staff and outputs for submission to the 2021 Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021).
- 09 January 2019
- Knowledge Exchange Framework Consultation 2019
This document details the proposed design and implementation plan for the first iteration of the Knowledge Exchange Framework (KEF) for English Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) and invites responses to these proposals through completion of the consultation survey.
- 22 November 2018
- Engagement Forum Report of Discussions
Research England held two Engagement Forums, on 28 June and 4 July in London and Manchester. This document summarises both forums.
- 19 November 2018
- Summary of KEF call for evidence responses
This report draws together the 106 responses to the former HEFCE call for evidence to present an overview of the key points emerging that have informed the development of the KEF.
- 19 November 2018
- Knowledge Exchange Framework Metrics: A Cluster Analysis of Higher Education Institutions
This technical report presents a cluster analysis of English Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) to inform the development of the Knowledge Exchange Framework Metrics.
- 19 November 2018
- Note on the relevance and use of UKRI (Research Council) data in the development of the KEF
This technical note considers the relevance and use of two UKRI data sources in the development of the KEF: Research Council grant funding to institutions and research outcomes as disclosed by researchers to Researchfish®.
- 08 November 2018
- Full Bid Guidance - Expanding Excellence in England (E3) Fund
This document restates the arrangements for an additional allocation of strategic research funding for higher education institutions in 2019-22.
- 05 July 2018
- Interim Evaluation of the UK Research Partnership Investment Fund
Report to Research England by Belmana and the Centre for Enterprise and Economic Development Research, Middlesex University.
- 20 June 2018
- Metric Tide
The Independent Review of the Role of Metrics in Research Assessment and Management was set up in April 2014 to investigate the current and potential future roles that quantitative indicators can play in the assessment and management of research.