Research England is governed and supported by a Council of leading experts, helping to shape our strategy and overall approach.
The role of the Council is to:
- Support the Executive Chair in ensuring the successful operation of Research England, including setting priorities and activities in line with UKRI's overall strategy, and considering key risks.
- Provide expert advice on the development of Research England's strategic delivery plan. To monitor, review progress and act as a critical friend.
- Provide strategic advice to UKRI on the research and knowledge exchange system of relevance to Research England.
- Act as ambassadors and advocates for UKRI and Research England.
- David Sweeney is the Executive Chair.
- Dr Richard Armour - Former Secretary-General, University Grants Committee, Hong Kong
- Professor Naren Barfield - Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost, Royal College of Art
- Dr Carol Bell - former Managing Director of the Global Oil & Gas Group at the Chase Manhattan Bank
- Kellie Beirne - Director of the Cardiff Capital Region City Deal
- Dr Phil Clare - Deputy Director, Research Services (Knowledge Exchange and Engagement), University of Oxford
- Professor Nandini Das - Professor of Early Modern Literature and Culture, University of Oxford
- Dame Janet Finch - Former Vice-Chancellor of Keele University, and Honorary Professor of Sociology, University of Manchester
- Anne-Marie Imafidon MBE - CEO and Creator of non-profit Stemettes,
- Professor Cathy Gormley-Heenan - Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and External Affairs)
- Professor Ian Greer FMedSci - President and Vice-Chancellor of Queen's University Belfast
- Michael G Rees - Founder of Strategic Vitality
- Professor Graeme Reid - Professor of Science and Research Policy, University College London
A Register of Interests (PDF) of the Council members is available.
Find out more about our team.
Meetings in 2020
- Thursday 20 February 2020
- Wednesday 15 April 2020
- Thursday 4 June 2020
- Wednesday 9 September 2020
- Thursday 26 November 2020