Each year the government provides guidance to us to confirm our funding available for the following financial year (April to March) and provides an indication of the likely funding available in future years in the spending review period. This guidance also provides an outline of the Government's policy priorities for our funding.
How we allocate funding
Once we know the total available, we then determine the grants to individual providers for research and Knowledge Exhange (KE), which we generally allocate on an academic year basis.
Each year we divide the total funds between research, KE, and other funding, taking account of the guidance from Government.
More information is in our How we fund HEIs booklet (PDF).
Funding allocations by year
In July 2019 we announced grant allocations for 2019-20 for each provider that we fund.
- Research and knowledge exchange funding for 2019-20: Recurrent grants and formula capital allocations (PDF)
- Funding for higher education institutions for 2019-20 - July 2019 (Excel)
In May 2018 we announced grant allocations for 2018-19 for each provider that we fund.
- Research and knowledge exchange funding for 2018-19: Recurrent grants and formula capital allocations (PDF)
- Funding for higher education institutions for 2018-19 - April 2018
The ‘Guide to research and knowledge exchange funding 2019-20’ provides an introduction to our funding methods and covers:
- the different types of funding we allocate
- how we calculate the amount each provider receives
- the conditions of funding and the requirements that HEPs must meet to receive funding from us.
Download the Guide to research and knowledge exchange funding 2018-19 (PDF) and the How we fund HEIs booklet (PDF).