Publications and reports
- 16 January 2020
- Knowledge Exchange Framework: Decisions for the first iteration
Report detailing the decisions taken by Research England for the implementation of the first iteration of the Knowledge Exchange Framework.
- 10 January 2020
- Circular letter - Notice of additional funding
Research England has been allocated further funding to distribute to eligible higher education institutions (HEIs) for 2019-20.
- 08 January 2020
- REF 2021 Codes of practice complaints and investigation Circular letter
Circular Letter – A consultation upon the REF 2021 Codes of practice complaints and investigation process
- 27 November 2019
- REF 2021 Circular Letter concerning the codes of practice complaints process
This circular letter is to notify you of the UK funding bodies' intention to publish a public consultation upon the management of complaints and investigations relating to the application of the 2021 Research Excellence Framework, (REF 2021) Codes of practice (COP).
- 04 October 2019
- The changing research landscape and reflections on national research assessment in the future
Research England commissioned RAND Europe to conduct a landscaping study to understand the changing research landscape over the next 5 to 10 years, and the possible application of technology within the process of national research assessment.
- 22 August 2019
- Knowledge Exchange Framework: Outcomes of Consultation and Pilot Exercise
This document provides an analysis of the Knowledge Exchange Framework (KEF) consultation responses and KEF pilot exercise and presents a summary of the main themes that have emerged. The findings are being used to inform the ongoing development of the KEF.
- 16 August 2019
- How we fund higher education institutions
Research England provides funding to English higher education institutions for research and knowledge exchange. This booklet gives an introduction to our funding methods.
- 29 July 2019
- Independent advice on university-investor links: Mike Rees report
An independent report, published on 29 July 2019, will inform Research England’s ongoing work to support university technology transfer.
- 26 July 2019
- Terms and Conditions of Research England grant
Higher education providers (HEPs) in receipt of our funding must comply with terms and conditions. We have published terms and conditions for the period to 31 July 2020.
- 26 July 2019
- Research and knowledge exchange funding for 2019-20
This publication summarises our recurrent grants for research and knowledge exchange and our formula capital allocations for research.
- 04 July 2019
- Equality Impact Assessment for QR funding and formula research capital funding: engagement survey
This document sets out a call for evidence intended to gather further information on the potential impacts of our formula-based research funding policy on protected groups.
- 02 July 2019
- Circular Letter: Funding for higher education institutions for 2019-20
This circular letter sets out our decisions on recurrent funding for higher education institutions for the academic year 2019-20, and on capital funding for the financial year 2019-20.
- 02 July 2019
- Guide to research and knowledge exchange funding 2019-20
Research England provides funding to English higher education institutions for research and knowledge exchange. This guide introduces how Research England allocates its funds, and is intended for those working in higher education and others who wish to understand our funding methods.
- 01 July 2019
- International Landscape Study of Research and Innovation Systems
This report presents the findings of the International Landscape Study of Research and Innovation Systems, commissioned by Research England and carried out by Technopolis.
- 27 June 2019
- Circular Letter: Equality Impact Assessment for Research England's Quality-related Research (QR) and formula-based research capital funding
This letter sets out our intention to carry out an Equality Impact Assessment (EIA) for Research England’s Quality-related Research (QR) and formula-based research capital funding allocated to English higher education institutions (HEIs).
- 24 June 2019
- Real Time REF Review Pilot Study
This six month pilot study examines the perceptions and attitudes of academics concerning the REF.
- 24 May 2019
- Engagement Forum Report of Discussions - 20 February 2019
Report of discussions at Research England's third Engagement Forum in Birmingham on 20 February 2019.
- 22 March 2019
- Allocations from the 2018-19 Strategic Priorities Fund
Research England has been allocated an element of the UK Research and Innovation Strategic Priorities Fund budget to distribute to higher education institutions (HEIs) for 2018-19.
- 19 February 2019
- Research England: Universities delivering the Industrial Strategy
This report summarises uses of Industrial Strategy uplift allocations through Higher Education Innovation Funding (HEIF) and Industrial Strategy related developments in universities, based on evidence from plans for HEIF submitted to Research England.
- 06 February 2019
- Codes of Practice circular letter for submission to the REF 2021
Letter to explain Research England's arrangements for reviewing codes of practice on the fair and transparent identification of staff and outputs for submission to the 2021 Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021).